Wednesday 23 November 2011

Kanji Gold

When I was eighteen I got to university and couldn't turn a computer on.  I stayed up all night in the university library learning how to use one and did this several nights in a row.  On the university library there was a programme called kanji gold.

This program tested all the JIS kanji which are round about 6000.  I loved this program and played with it for hours.  It introduced me to the joys of JWPce and reinforced my passion for kanji.

Roll forward five years: I have graduated university, lived and worked in Japan, been praised by a senior figure in a Japanese company but still feel inferior because of my childhood experiences.  i wanted to do something which I could look back upon and say: That was an achievement.

My mind cast back to kanji gold, the program which was my first love.  I assumed that someone, somewhere, must have filmed themselves clicking through all of the kanji correctly... but I was wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment