Thursday 11 February 2016

Bunkajin?

In Japanese there is a word, 文化人 which means cultured person.

I really don't think this is me. I know very little of literature or art, even compared to most university graduates...

I had a genuine interest in studying but it has been numbed by I feel two factors.

One:  The stupid academic system which I've discussed no end.

Two: The inability to compete with people from privileged backgrounds.

As for two how far do you take this....

"I never went abroad as a kid so I should give up on working for the United Nations"

"Anyone can do anything if they put there mind to it"

I fall between the two camps.

I never had any foreign holidays as a kid but someone high up in Toyota in the UK shook my hand and one of the top linguists in Canada offered to train me.

That said I don't think I could hack it in an EU job in Brussels... or compete with a top privately trained artist, or beat Super Rich Kid Magnus Carlsen at chess.

A street kid asked me if there was any point in him trying in life when other people are given such advantages. I said of course it is you can do anything if you try. He seemed to believe me...

But it is seeing these people with these advantages that made me quit and become an alcoholic.

In the next part of my life I hope to excell at painting foreign languages and chess as well as my physical training no matter what others around me are doing.

I am very proud to say I was a world class linguist despite all the odds.

No comments:

Post a Comment